Monday, March 31, 2014

March AJE Component of the Month ~ Moth Wings

Caroline Dewison of Blueberribeads sent us some gorgeous porcelain pieces!  We had a choice of moths or bees!



Here is what I created...I wanted to offset the beautiful gold metallic glaze with some pops of bright color, but decided to stay fairly monochromatic, so chose teal.  I rounded up some Czech glass beads, then went through my stash of art beads and found a pretty borosilicate lampwork bead by Julie Delaney, and a lovely ceramic swirl bead by our own Karen Totten.  I remembered some pyrite nuggets and briolettes that I had and wire-wrapped them into the necklace with brass wire.


I decided to create a hook clasp and just use one of the component's links for the loop!


There you have it!  Simple, but bright and beautiful!  I had been holding on to these pyrite briolettes for a while...I think they work perfectly with this!

Sorry for the drab photos...it was rainy and gross yesterday and I waited until this morning to take photos, but didn't have enough light!

Now, go forth and check out all the other gorgeous goodies created by this month's design team!!

Guest Artists
Helen Simon – Helen's had to drop out due to a hand injury - get well soon Helen!

The AJE Team
Caroline Dewison – http://www.blueberribeads.co.uk 
Melissa Meman –  http://melissameman.blogspot.com (you are here!)
Rebekah Payne - www.treewingsstudio.com


13 comments:

  1. Beautiful design Melissa, I love the pop of teal and the pyrite nuggets look fantastic below the moth... thank you for taking part in the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your wonderful eclectic design - the textures and palette beautifully accompany the focal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the teal with this, and the pyrite was a stroke of genius! The extra length beneath the moth balances the whole thing nicely. Your wire rose (it looks like a rose to me!) is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous necklace, love the dangles beneath the moth too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the colour palette in this and the little wire flower flourish is perfect - great design.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That palette is awesome, and putting the clasp in front looks wonderful!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the teal and your wire wrapping is amazing but I have to tell you the clasp is amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful design, Melissa, and that clasp is a very special touch :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty...love your choice of colors! That clasp is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love this design! The brio dangles and awesome clasp seal the deal and make this a beauty!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is beautiful. I love the color scheme and the sparkly dangles below the moth.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your necklace, the colors are great! I love the clasp as well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely flower garden you've created with your moth Melissa! The mix of colors is just perfect—beautiful, beautiful necklace!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...